How To Start – Home Wind Power
As you spend time learning about wind energy, you will soon find that there is a difference between home wind power, or “small wind”, and
commercial wind farms or “large wind”. Small wind is what you might be interested in and involves installing one or more smaller wind turbines for the home, either to fully provide energy or to supplement your energy supply. Home wind turbines need to be of sufficient size that they produce more energy than they consume, but they do not have to be huge.
So where do you start? Who do you talk to?
- First establish whether you have sufficient wind in your area to make an installation viable. You will need specialist tools to gauge this accurately and you may choose to hire someone to do this for you.
- Look on local wind websites for information on wind patterns
- Speak to your local authority to check if there are any special planning permits required
- Find out how much energy you currently use so you know what size turbine to consider. Your current energy provider can help you interpret your energy bill.
- Do a basic energy audit and see if you can insulate your home better to reduce energy consumption.
- Decide whether you want to use a commercial supplier or build your own windmill or home wind turbine
- Check out ready made kits and find out about separate installation costs
- It will certainly be cheaper to build your own turbine but it will require effort and some skill. Larger turbines are not usually suitable for an inexperienced handyman
- It is still worthwhile doing some research into home wind turbines even if you employ a commercial supplier to educate yourself as to the suitability of the products that may be recommended.
- Wind turbines only produce energy when the wind blows, and are often used in conjunction with solar panels to give continual energy supply
- Home wind turbines also require a specialized battery to store energy
- Do not shop on price alone. Be aware of noise requirements for your area – certain models are much quieter than others